This program will be led by Coach Jason Aquilante
Most kids spend the majority of their practice time hitting in the cages; working off the tee; or doing side toss. Very few are seen putting in time working on their defense. The
Defensive Workshop is designed to place emphasis on the part of the game that is often overlooked.
During the 7-week program, players will be schooled in the following areas:
- Agilities: Each session will start with agilities. To be a great infielder, players need to learn how to control their feet.
- Proper approach to ground balls: Players will learn four approaches that include fielding balls hit directly at them; groundballs that require them to charge the ball; backhands;
- Transitioning from a fielding to throwing position: This will tie directly into agilities. Players will learn how to use their feet to generate a stronger, more accurate
throw. They will also learn how to effectively use their upper body.
- Throwing drills: Players will learn the proper mechanics that will increase arm strength and reduce risk of injury.
- Proper way to flip a ball: Yes, this is a skill and one that is routinely performed incorrectly. Players will learn the proper technique in flipping a ball; which will
include the backhand flips.
- Double Plays: Players will learn how to properly turn a double play; from the feed to the turn.
- Situations: Players will routinely be tested in their knowledge of what to do in certain situations. Every player has a job on every play; and we’ll work to educate them
for the various situations that could happen in a game.
- Pre-game practice routine: No infielder should begin a game without working on the various fielding techniques. We’ll take the players through a routine that can be
performed before each game, and if necessary, before each practice.
Dates: (Ages 13+) Saturday's Jan. 6, 13, 20, 27; Feb. 3, 10, 17
(Ages 8-12) Sunday's Jan. 7, 14, 21, 28; Feb. 4, 11, 18
Time: Saturday Session 10-11 am
Sunday Session 11:30 am - 12:30 pm